mercredi 9 juillet 2014

Work Computer (Web dev)

Hey Guys, I was meant to start this thread last week but I forgot.



I'm a web developer so I need a computer to code on that can handle a load of tabs, run intensive database queries and a couple of virtual machines. My current setup is a Core 2 Duo 3Ghz, 4GB of RAM running Xubuntu 14.04 but this isn't up to the task. I'm always running out of RAM causing the computer to swap and I can't give the virtual machines enough RAM either so they're swapping too. It struggles along but it costs time.



So I need a new computer for work, we don't have a budget but nothing crazy. I was originally thinking of just building a desktop to run Linux but a friend said about building a hackintosh instead. I want something powerful with a ton of RAM so I don't have to check task manager everytime I want to start a VM.



I had a quick look on the apple refurb store and spotted the Rentina Macbook Pro 15", this one has a 2.3Ghz quad i7 with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. Pretty much the top of the range model but for £1850, I think it's £1500 without VAT. Whilst this would be cool I'd also want it to replace my old powerbook at home so I'd prob pay something towards it. We'd also be looking at another £500 for warranty and accessories (keyboard, monitor adapters, case etc). The main thing that has put me off replacing my 2005 Powerbook G4 is that a brand new equiverlent replacement costs more than my Fiesta ST150. However; refurbed + employer paying some - VAT makes this an option.



At the moment I'm the only one in the office with a desktop so I was wondering how the quad i7 mac mini with 16GB compared to the rMBP 15".



What I need

- Fast, Quad core i7 or better

- Lots of RAM, 16GB min

- Dual external display (1080p)



I do like using macs, I have a 2005 Powerbook G4 and a 2006 Mac Mini Core Duo. The problem with real macs is you can't upgrade them. If I get a laptop I will use it at home to replace my 2005 Powerbook G4 as my personal computer as well. If it's a desktop it will be just for work. At work I stay at my desk all the time and sometimes use the spare laptop on lunch. I've been lucky where I've not had to work more than half an hour past closing where as my colleuges have worked over weekends and stuff so if I have a laptop could work from home without having to swing by work to grab my desktop.



I'm really confused / fixsated on the rMBP 15" refurb at the mo but I want to here what you guys think. Should I go for this or spec up a mac desktop or a hackintosh? If it doesn't work with OS X I'd stick with Linux. With a desktop PC I can upgrade it later if I need to whereas with a true mac I'm stuck with whatever I get. Having said that my 2005 Powerbook has only had upgraded RAM and hard drive over 9 years.



I'm so confused :confused:




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire